Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lessons Learned from a Feline

Well, here we go...my first attempt at blogging. I started setting this up yesterday when I was in a different frame of mind (a mind of discontent with how things were in my world). That was then, this is now.

One of my precious cats, Chanel, started feeling poorly last weekend. She was a little unsteady on her feet and had difficulties with grooming and other daily tasks. I tried a few home remedies and Chanel started to appear to be on the mend.

Last night, however, at around 7:00 p.m., she took a turn for the worse and somehow instinctively I knew she would not live through the night.

My 17 year old daughter, Autumn, who is Chanel's best friend, was at a local college watching some one-act play performances and would be home quite late but I just wished her to be home with Chanel and I (and Chanel's daughter, Miracle, and my Calico, Snickers) before Chanel passed.

Autumn arrived home at around 10:30 p.m. just as Chanel started to labor in her breathing. The five of us stayed together and even though Chanel was in such distress, she appeared as though she knew we were all there for her. Then at 1:00 a.m., Chanel went to Heaven. I never knew how much I could love a cat until that moment.

I at once felt guilt for not taking her to the vet. My daughter lovingly told me that Chanel was probably too sick for a vet to do anything. I love that daughter of mine. She was comforting me as well as feeling her own sense of loss.

I learned that no matter how your day might be going, nothing is too great to bear. If my cat, Chanel, could withstand the pain and suffering she went through before passing from this place, I should not complain. This is a valuable lesson I learned from that feline!

This afternoon as I am authoring this blog, I feel Chanel's presence beside me s"purr"ing me on to express my feelings and heal from her loss. My daughter and I are embarking on a new adventure when she graduates from high school in May, 2010. (More about that in future blogs.) Chanel will be able to be with us on that journey in spirit and I know she will be a source of inspiration and comfort to my daughter and me.

Chanel, my fuzzy girl, you will be missed. Thanks for your unconditional love and understanding. Thank you also for reminding me that some things are more important than petty grievances about everyday life. I can hear you purring from Heaven because you are content.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful reason to be inspired to start your blog. If we are paying attention life gives us so many opportunities to grow and become more in alignment with our souls purpose everyday. I believe that love opens that gate and the unconditional love we share with our pets is a very strong and powerful love. I look forward to reading more about what your "fuzzy girl" has taught you, may your heart be at peace~Jacque

    ReplyDelete