Saturday, March 6, 2010

Facing My Fears

I grew up in a large family (11 counting my parents) where people did what was safe and within their comfort zone--not taking chances, not facing fears--just muddling through life putting one foot in front of the other--suffering in misery because they were afraid to go it alone or confront new situations. I inherited many fears from my mother who seems to be afraid of everything from water to heights to being alone.

Over the years, I have tried to conquer many of those inherited fears by confronting them head on and for the most part, I have been successful in dispelling many of those fears. One fear, however, is the fear of flying. In the '80s, I flew twice and was just as fearful afterwards as I was before I flew (if not even more fearful). I have taken Greyhound buses cross-country and ridden in cars for hours just to avoid my fear of flying.

Well, now that I am in the process of metamorphosis and I am taking on many new and perhaps scary ventures this year, getting over my fear of flying is one of my projects. Next week, I will be on a trip with my 17 year old daughter (who has never flown) to our soon-to-be new home in Kentucky and we must take 3 planes (each way) to get the job done.

As a coping tool, I have changed my way of thinking about flying. I am now viewing flying as "freedom"--the freedom to spread MY wings. I am using the airplane as a metaphor for this. I am looking at this as an adventure instead of a fearful experience. Once I conquer this fear, look out everyone because I will then truly know that I can accomplish anything!

So next week, with my daughter by my side, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers while I am taking on this fear and looking it straight in the eye. I will be free and ready to continue my journey of self-discovery and metamorphosis. Facing my fears...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I use to fly, but I just can't anymore. But your thinking of it as Freedom instead of fear is so insightful!! I think you'll do wonderful on your trip. You will experience true adventure and freedom!

    The next time I have the opportunity to fly I'll think of it as Freedom too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete